Sunday, October 16, 2011

BeOn - Technology or TechnoToy?


Just read a Press Release by the Harris Corporation announcing an incredible new forward step in combining the power of Push-To-Talk radio with the Android SmartPhone. They call it BeOn and they hope to begin shipping in 2012.  Wow!  Am I impressed!  I guess they didn't know that a little company called Critical RF did the same thing over a decade ago and they have been continually improving their products ever since.


We were quick to recognize the potential of this technology, working with Critical RF to offer this technology for ALL types of SmartPhones, including not only Android, but Blackberry, and iPhone as well.  We even created a separate marketing company called SDR Plus to promote this new technology.  The web site is still on line at www.sdrplus.us, but it has not been updated for quite some time.  The reason?  It wasn't practical.  There were coverage issues which were troublesome, but the real problem was, and is, battery consumption.  When you add a PTT application to a SmartPhone, you reduce the battery life to four hours or less.  That is simply unacceptable!

Let me tell you about a MUCH better solution.  It's called COMMON SENSE!  Until just recently, I was paying over a hundred dollars per month for SmartPhone service through Verizon.  I turned in my Blackberry, got one of those new mobile Wi-Fi hot spot modules (Verizon calls it Mi-Fi), got a teeny little phone with Blue Tooth and put a Netbook in my vehicle.  I can do anything!  I can do live video streaming (click here for an example), I can get directions, allow people to virtually ride along with me.  I have web access with a screen I can see, email, and even airtime free phone minutes.  Here's the really great news!  I CUT MY MONTHLY WIRELESS PHONE BILL IN HALF!  Oh, by the way, I can use my Netbook for PTT operation with any 2-way radio system in the world - not just P25, but DMR, NXDN, and even Analog.  And, I don't have to worry about battery life as my Netbook has a big battery that is being constantly charged in my vehicle.

I am probably not a good prospect for BeOn.  I don't think you are either! If you want to know how to really use technology for YOUR benefit, give us a call at 205.854.2611.  We'll show you how it's done in the real world!